Thursday, March 31, 2011

The "Universal" Key of Writing

I have been getting a few emails from people asking me to proofread their short stories and poems. Which is totally fine; I'm always glad to help. But I see a recurring theme in a lot of the emails sent to me. They want an answer to a question that is just so bizarre, it makes my eyes twitch in unbelief.

The question, you may ask?

"How do I write a good story?"

People tend to think that there is some hidden secret to writing a story, that there is some figurative handbook that if you follow the directions, you will create the next J.K Rowling novel. 

Right now, I'm going to end that belief. I have said this before, and I will say it again, writing is an art. Literature comes from your mind, your soul, your emotions, and your beliefs. The reason why authors are successful is not because they "can write good", or "they are smarter". It's simply because they have experienced more than others, they have practiced more than others, and they have the ability to open themselves up to others. Authors are masters of placing their thoughts into words, and the feeling that comes from their texts allows people to relate and admire them.

That among all else, is the reason why authors are successful.

Sure, you may need the fundamentals. That is understandable. But essentially, you are all asking me to write a book that fits all categories of great writing. That's almost as impossible as asking me to create another Frankenstein, except one that "is perfect", that everyone likes. Well, nothing like that exists.

The trick to writing is not finding the magical key that will open all the doors to the universe, but finding that one door that is right for you, and using your own key - the one you were born with - to unlock it.



May your joy in writing lead you to happiness,

Jay

No comments:

Post a Comment